Sue Knits

Adventures in knitting and other things

Monday, March 12, 2007

The Possum and Challenge of the Week

First, the possum:Knit in the round, unlike its older sibling. This worked very well except for stuffing its face (ha!). In case you wonder, the paper bag taped to the bottom of the cupboard is to act as a makeshift lampshade. I also write interesting things on it when I find them. The possum is hiding a poem by Edna St Vincent Millay. For your reading pleasure:

I'm the queen of the dishpan
My subjects abound
I can knock them about
and push them around
and they answer with naught
but a clattering sound
I'm the queen of the dishpan, hooray!

It's above my kitchen sink.

And, look who decided to join the rest of the class!


And last of all, the Challenge of the Week. I've recently volunteered with Big Brothers Big Sisters, and been assigned a Little. She and I went to the State Museum in Augusta Saturday morning, and had a good time inside. Afterward we went out and looked at the statue of Samantha Smith, and talked about her story. Little was interested, since she is not that much younger than Samantha Smith was when she wrote that first letter. We went back in, to the library this time, to look at a book about her, and again, Little was interested. Impressively so, I thought, since she is only 8. As we were leaving the library, she said "Next time we get together, we should try some Russian food." Hey why not?

But now my work is cut out for me. Can you think of any Russian foods that would appeal to the average eight-year-old? Especially one who calls herself a vegetarian (although I think that if the meat is properly disguised she doesn't have a problem with it - she ordered chicken nuggets for lunch). So far my best idea is pierogies, and maybe some beets for effect. And some good dark bread. But please, if anything else comes to mind, let me know!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Indeed, borscht was the first thing that came to my mind, even though I don't really know what that is... I'll ask my husband, who is a very good cook.

Funny to hear about Sam - she used to live in northern Maine and was best friends with my neighbor across the street. I went to her 5th birthday party. Still think it's weird to hear about her...

But what I really want to know is: where did the other mitten come from? or go to?

Love the Edna St. Vincent Millay poem!!

Good luck finding good vegetarian Russian food --

8:06 PM  
Blogger knitnzu said...

Oooh, that is a tough one! Are you making it or buying it? You can borrow my "Sundays at the Moosewood", but they don't have Russian specifically...Eastern European...croatian, hungarian, bulgarian, macedonian, etc etc. oh, here is ukrainian almond crescents. Queen of the dishpan! That's a good one. Do you see wordpress? Chris (stumbling over chaos) mentioned tohubohu...it's a great word!

8:13 PM  
Blogger knitnzu said...

Oh! Even better than the moosewood is something by Sheila Lukins, all around the world cookbook, or something similar...will try to get it to you.

1:57 PM  
Blogger knitnzu said...

Ooops...somehow the post got lost. Try again...look at the pics on Kate's blog, she's the one who went to Roratonga and NZ
http://oceanikate.blogspot.com

4:23 PM  
Blogger Elaine said...

potatos. Those appeal to kids. I know, not very helpful, huh?
I posted about my spinning group experience, if you're interested.

5:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there -- doing my blog crawl for the evening, and realizing I don't have anyone's e-mail address, so I'm going to send you this link to a Marketplace piece on knitting:

http://marketplace.publicradio.org/shows/2007/03/15/PM200703157.html

It was playing Thurs. night as I was running errands and *not* at knit group :( I missed most of it the first time.

I'm sensing you are on your way soon? Please make sure you catch both the antipode and azimuth while you are there!!

6:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

شكرا لهذا المنصب رائع. الاعجاب الوقت والجهد وانتم تضعون في بلوق الخاص بك ومعلومات مفصلة التي تقدمها.

6:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home