Sue Knits

Adventures in knitting and other things

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Two things

1. I read a book when I was in junior high or so, called The Endless Steppe. It's an autobiographical story taking place in WWII-era Russia, and among other things to help her family get by, the girl in the book learns to knit. She finds discarded items of clothing, unravels them, and makes sweaters and things to order from the yarn thus acquired. I don't think I'd thought of that book since I learned to knit, but I now have a whole new admiration for her.

2, Is yarn like photocopy paper? You know how it has a right side up and a wrong side up for when you put it in the drawer, but the naked eye can't tell the two apart, and if you take the paper out of the wrapper with the arrows without paying attention, you're toast? One of my little red mice was way twistier and more obnoxious than the others, and I wonder if somehow I wound (and therefore, used) that one wrong end first. Is such a thing possible?

3 Comments:

Blogger knitnzu said...

That looks like an interesting book. My grandmother and her sisters used to go to "Frenchy's" (in Nova Scotia)and buy sweaters to unravel to make socks! Interesting thought about the yarn...maybe you should do a little experiment?

8:11 PM  
Blogger Elaine said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

7:01 PM  
Blogger Elaine said...

I buy (very good, all good seamed, all wool) sweaters from Salvation army and unravel them for the yarn. There's a great tutorial on how to do it Here

7:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home