Sue Knits

Adventures in knitting and other things

Thursday, June 28, 2007

carrots and carrots and carrots

75 cupcakes and two cake cakes later...

no progress on the mittens. But it's okay. My house is (relatively) beautiful and I have company coming tomorrow night and I'm way excited! :)

No knitting tonight - but on my way to the shop, I noticed that there is once again ice cream for sale downtown. So when I saw the note on the door, I changed my destination and became a walking advertisement. Almost as soon as I walked away with my cone (it was strawberry ice cream - delicious) a guy stopped me and said "if you tell me where you got that, I know where I'm getting dessert!"

Oh other exciting news today, a coworker and I went for a walk down to the river this morning and saw a really really big fish jump way out of the water! It was very cool. I asked my boss (who is quite a fisherman) what it could have been, and the answer was a sturgeon. I looked them up then, and found out that they're older than dinosaurs. How nifty is that? Here's a quote I found here (the pictures there are exactly right, too, btw)

"But while looking at the rushing and rippling stream, I saw a great fish, some six feet long and thick in proportion, suddenly emerge at whole length, turn a somerset, and then vanish again beneath the water. It was a glistening, yellowish brown, with its fins all spread, and looking very strange and startling darting so life-like from the black water, throwing itself fully into the bright sunshine, and then lost to sight and pursuit."

- Nathaniel Hawthorne, Augusta, Maine, July 1837

3 Comments:

Blogger knitnzu said...

I'm always teasing a friend of mine, if we are near the river, 'oh, look at that! you just missed it. 10 foot long sturgeon!' Last year I got payback. In my kayak, Don about 20 yds behind, I heard a big splash and turned to look, seeing maybe 2 feet of something as it sank into the water. I looked back at Don and he had his arms spread as wide as they could. DRAT!

2:19 PM  
Blogger knitnzu said...

was the hosta comment from you?

9:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahem. Posting, my dear? Knitting, my dear? Or is it all carrots, all the time? Or perhaps *other* diversions???

Finished Harry Potter yet? I saw your sock book at the LYS last week but did not read it - will try to do this week!!

2:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home